Sustainability becomes more and more a success factor for every company: For finding and keeping both clients as well as talent. Many companies are using agile development already successfully. Thus, leveraging agility for greater sustainability seems to be a promising approach. This is the topic, I’m exploring together with Claudia Melo.*
Our work is based on the United Nations‘ Agenda 2030 that aims for 17 sustainable development goals. These goals are focusing on the following three areas, as defined also by the Triple Bottom Line:
– Social (People): Aiming on ending poverty
– Environmental (Planet): Protecting the planet
– Economic (Profit): Improving the lives & prospects of everyone, everywhere
The Agile Manifesto can be used as a guide for taking the environmental, social, and economic footprint of products (and their creation) into account. We use a workshop format to explore how the principles can contribute in your organization to sustainability, and how a greater awareness can change your current way of working and contribute to increasing sustainability.
*I am trained as pollution control commissioner on ecological environmentalism and Dr. Claudia Melo has worked as an Agile Coach/Software Engineer for the United Nations, she is now Director of Engineering & Tech Organizational Design at Loft.
OOP 2022, Munich, Germany, online, January 31 – February 4, 2022
– Workshop with Claudia Melo on Can we leverage the Agile Manifesto to reduce our Carbon Footprint, January 31st at 14.00 CET
– Talk on Agile for Future: Mit dem Agilen Manifest zu mehr Nachhaltigkeit! (More Sustainability with the Agile Manifesto), February 02 at 11am CET
ACCU 2022 Bristol, UK, April 5-9, 2022
– Workshop on Software for Future: What’s the Impact of the Agile Manifesto on our Carbon footprint? April 7
ICT4S 2022 Plovdiv, Buldgaria & online, June 13-17, 2022
– Workshop with Claudia Melo on Workshop on Leveraging the Agile Manifesto to reduce our Carbon footprint, online, date & time TBD
Links to articles & recordings
– Keynote on Agile comes with a responsibility for sustainability. Are you aware of it? (slides) at Agile Testing Days, Potsdam, Germany (November 17)
– Leveraging the Agile Manifesto for More Sustainability . Article published by infoQ.
– Sustainability: Delivering Agility’s Promise (pre-printed draft), chapter in Software Sustainability edited by Coral Calero et.al and published by Springer International Publishing, 2021
– Keynote as a conversation with Gabrielle Benefield & Alistair Cockburn on Sustainable Disruption, Where We Go From Here at Agile 2021 (July 19)
– Workshop co-presented with Claudia Melo on What’s the Impact of the Agile Manifesto on our Carbon Footprint? at Agile 2021 (July 20)
– Legacy for Future: Nachhaltigkeit beginnt mit Code (in German) at the Legacy & Innovation Meetup, Nr. 14 (July 14, 2021)
– Real Cross-functional Teams for Creating real and better Products (video recording). This co-presentation of Jutta & Maryse Meinen focuses on the social aspect of sustainability. The session has been presented at the Agile Camp Berlin 2021 on May 27.
– How Software Impacts our Planet. Podcast with Robby Russell in the Maintainable Software Podcast.
– Sustainability: Key to Success. Blog post published by Agile Alliance
– Ethical Decisions in a Wicked World: the Role of Technologists, Entrepreneurs, and Organizations. By Claudia Melo published by infoQ.