Sustainability becomes more and more a success factor for every company: For finding and keeping both clients as well as talent. Many companies are using agile development already successfully. Thus, leveraging agility for greater sustainability seems to be a promising approach. This is the topic, I’m exploring together with Claudia Melo.*
Our work is based on the United Nations’ Agenda 2030 that aims for 17 sustainable development goals. These goals are focusing on the following three areas, as defined also by the Triple Bottom Line:
– Social (People): Aiming on ending poverty
– Environmental (Planet): Protecting the planet
– Economic (Profit): Improving the lives & prospects of everyone, everywhere
The Agile Manifesto can be used as a guide for taking the environmental, social, and economic footprint of products (and their creation) into account. We use a workshop format to explore how the principles can contribute in your organization to sustainability, and how a greater awareness can change your current way of working and contribute to increasing sustainability.
*I am trained as pollution control commissioner on ecological environmentalism and Claudia Melo currently works for the United Nations.
Links to articles & recordings
– Leveraging the Agile Manifesto for More Sustainability . Article published by infoQ.
– Sustainability: Delivering Agility’s Promise (pre-printed draft), chapter in Software Sustainability edited by Coral Calero et.al and published by Springer International Publishing, 2021 (still in production)
– Keynote as a conversation with Gabrielle Benefield & Alistair Cockburn on Sustainable Disruption, Where We Go From Here at Agile 2021 (July 19)
– Workshop co-presented with Claudia Melo on What’s the Impact of the Agile Manifesto on our Carbon Footprint? at Agile 2021 (July 20)
– Legacy for Future: Nachhaltigkeit beginnt mit Code (in German) at the Legacy & Innovation Meetup, Nr. 14 (July 14, 2021)
– Real Cross-functional Teams for Creating real and better Products (video recording). This co-presentation of Jutta & Maryse Meinen focuses on the social aspect of sustainability. The session has been presented at the Agile Camp Berlin 2021 on May 27.
– How Software Impacts our Planet. Podcast with Robby Russell in the Maintainable Software Podcast.
– Sustainability: Key to Success. Blog post published by Agile Alliance
– Ethical Decisions in a Wicked World: the Role of Technologists, Entrepreneurs, and Organizations. By Claudia Melo published by infoQ.